Legal City (Pty) Ltd is a company registered in South Africa. We provide real-time online access to a variety of information sources via our website located at www.legalcity.net.
As required by Section 51(1)(a) of the Act
Name of Body: Legal City (Pty) Ltd Registration No: K2017/227267/07 Head of Body: Mr David Herman
Postal Address: Street Address: P O Box 837
2nd Floor, North Block
7 Mellis Road
Phone Number: 086 11 78378 Fax Number: 086 648 7683 Email Address: Web site: www.legalcity.net
As required by Section 51(1)(b) of the Act
The ACT grants a requester access to records of a private body, if the record is required for the exercise or protection of any rights. If a public body lodges a request, the public body must be acting in the public interest.
Requests in terms of the ACT shall be made in accordance with the prescribed procedures, at the rates provided. The forms and tariff are dealt with in paragraphs 6 and 7 of the Act.
Requesters are referred to the Guide in terms of Section 10 which has been compiled by the South African Human Rights Commission, which will contain information for the purposes of exercising Constitutional Rights. The Guide is available from the SAHRC.
The contact details of the Commission are:
Postal Address: Private Bag 2700, Houghton, 2041, South Africa Phone Number: 011 877 3600 Fax Number: 011 403 0625 Web site: www.sahrc.org.za
As required by Section 51(1)(c) of the Act
Our records are kept in accordance with the following legislation -
- Basic Conditions of Employment Act, 75 of 1997
- Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases Act, 130 of 1993
- Labour Relations Act, 68 of 1995
- Occupational Health and Safety Act, 85 of 1993
- Skills Development Levies Act, 9 of 1999
- Unemployment Insurance Contribution Fund Act, 4 of 2000
- Unemployment Insurance Fund Act, 63 of 2001
Financial and Business Activities
- Close Corporations Act, 69 of 1984
- Companies Act, 61 of 1973
- Companies Act, 71 of 2008
- Consumer Protection Act No. 68 of 2008
- Copyright Act No. 98 of 1978
- Electronic Communications and Transactions Act, 25 of 2002
- Income Tax Act, 58 of 1962
- Intellectual Property Law Amendments Act No. 38 of 1997
- National Credit Act No. 34 of 2005
- Pension Funds Act No. 24 of 1956
- Tax on Retirement Funds Act No. 38 of 1996
- Trade Marks Act No. 194 of 1993
- Value Added Tax Act, 89 of 1991
As required by Section 51(1)(d) of the Act
The following records can be requested in terms of the Act (see below for forms of request) -
- Public Product Information
- Public Corporate Records
- Media Releases
The financial records of the company are private and may only be requested as part of a court order or similar due process. The records concerning the company that may be requested in terms of the Act are as follows:
- Leases; rental or HP agreements; sale agreements; external correspondence; insurance contracts; monthly management accounts; financial statements; copies of marketing and advertising materials; registered trade marks or patents
- Contracts with suppliers; receipts and invoices
- Software licensing documentation; manuals and installation instructions; maintenance agreements
- Employment contracts; independent contractor agreements; conditions of employment, disciplinary procedures
The following records concerning our clients may be requested in terms of the Act:
- Contact details of registered users for whom Legal City provides services
- Contact details of individuals and companies from which Legal City obtains data which is published on or accessible via this web site
As required by Section 51(1)(e) of the Act
The requester must provide in writing:
- Details of the information requested from Legal City.
- Sufficient detail to allow Legal City to identify the information that the requester has requested. For example, when disputing a credit enquiry, the offending user's contact name and number and the date of the enquiry.
- Proof of identification of the requester, accompanied by an affidavit signed by the requester regarding the requester's proof of identification or approved by a commissioner of oaths.
- Contact phone and fax number of the requester as well as postal address of the requester within the Republic of South Africa.
The requester must provide in writing:
- The requester is required to identify the right that is sought to be exercised or protected and must provide an explanation of why the requested record is required for the exercise or protection of that right.
If the request is made on behalf of a person, the requester is required to submit in writing proof of the capacity in which the requester is making the request, to the reasonable satisfaction of Legal City.
As required by Section 51(1)(f) of the Act
If the request is made on behalf of another person, the requester is required to pay a prescribed non-refundable fee before Legal City can process the request.
If the request is made on behalf of another person, the fee that the requester must pay is R230.00 inclusive of VAT. The requester may lodge an application with the court against the tender or payment of the request fee in terms of subsection (1).
Legal City may withhold the requested information until the requester concerned has paid the applicable fee.
As required by Section 71 of the Act
Legal City is required to take all reasonable steps to inform a third party to whom or which the record relates of the request.
When informing a third party in terms of subsection (1), Legal City must:
- State that we are considering a request for information about the third party;
- Furnish the name of the requester and, if applicable, the name of the person on whose behalf the requester is making the request;
- State that the third party may, within 21 days after the third party is informed, make representations as to why the request for access should be refused or give written consent for the disclosure of the record to the requester.
Once all reasonable steps have been taken by Legal City to notify the third party of the request and should the third party not reply within the specified 21 days then Legal City will make the record of information available to the requester.